Welcome to WNS2 2008
October 23 2008
The Second Workshop on NS-2 (WNS2) 2008
held in conjunction with VALUETOOLS, the Third International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools.
The second edition of the Workshop on NS-2 aims at attracting researchers working on the network simulator ns. WNS2 is the unique place where researchers from both academia and industry can meet to share recent developments, new design and ideas. This year, as the new version of ns (ns3) become more valuable with several new features, a tutorial will be given on October the 23rd, after the technical program.
ns, the free open-source network simulator, is the de-facto standard for research over a wide variety of networking areas. ns version 2 is widely used across both academia and industry as a way of designing, testing and evaluating new and existing protocols and architectures, and has also proven a very useful tool for teaching purposes. ns version 3 is under active development.
The Workshop on ns-2 (WNS2) is a one-day event held in conjunction with VALUETOOLS 2008, the Third International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (http://www.valuetools.org/), during the week of 20-24 October 2008 in Athens, Greece. WNS2 2008 follows the success of the first WNS2 workshop in 2006. Reviewed technical papers will be presented on Thursday, 23 october 2008 followed by a tutorial on NS-3 in the afternoon.
The main goals of this second WNS2 workshop are to bring together networking researchers from both academia and industry, to discuss recent advances, to identify future directions in network simulation, and to foster interdisciplinary collaborative research in this area. The workshop aims to emphasise the future evolution of ns-2, now that ns-3 is under active development, and its extension in novel research areas and networking technologies and scenarios.
This workshop focuses on the ns simulator in itself, and in improving simulation. We seek original contributions that go beyond the use of ns-2 "as is" for networking scenarios, and which try to make ns do something new and different. Topics of interest for the Workshop include, but are not limited to:
Structural developments/enhancements to the NS-2 simulator itself:
- Presentation/evaluation of new features/architectures under development for ns-3.
- Dynamic management of libraries / ns-Modules.
- Large-scale network simulation and model-based simulation approaches.
- Development of parallel and distributed versions of ns. Use of virtualization with ns.
- Integration of simulation and emulation.
- Post-processing tools, including GUIs for statistical analysis and visualization of simulation results.
Simulator use and validation of simulation accuracy:
- Validation of ns behaviour with experimentation and real data from implementations.
- Comparative studies of ns and other network simulation tools, both commercial and freely available.
- Environments and methodologies: the best practices, third-party code, helper scripts, and frameworks that serious users of ns recommend to get things done
New simulation models and features:
- Wireless channel modelling.
- Frameworks for cross-layer support.
- Mobile and wireless networks, 3G/4G networks, WLANs, WPANs, WiMAX, Mesh networks...
- Delay-tolerant networking.
- Congestion-control and transport-layer issues in long-fat networks.
- Mobility: network mobility (NEMO), physical node mobility (e.g., group mobility models).
- Sensor and actuator networks (wireless, underwater, underground).
- Peer-to-peer systems.
- Network coding: data dissemination, encoding/decoding suites.
- Grid computing.
Dates and Location
WNS2 Event is a workshop of the VALUETOOLS conference.
Dates of WNS2:
- October 23 2008 morning: Workshop on NS-2 - technical program
- October 23 2008 afternoon: Tutorial on NS-3 given by George Riley
Location: Athens, Greece